Saturday 23 March 2013

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams

I've trodden on my own dreams, it would seem. On Thursday I was told that I have osteoporosis and that I have to stop running. Devasation, shock and incredulity scarcely begin to describe my feelings since then. It's ben snowing since about midnight and looks like snow has set in for the whole weekend- I'm too scared to leave the house in case I fall. Suddenly old age has hit me yet I'm only 41.

I was never much of a one for WB Yeats, but I looked at this earlier this morning and changed my mind. I think it has much of the simple directness of Seamus Heaney- a poet I very much admire.

Had I the heaven's embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,

I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.



No comments: