Friday 3 May 2013

Quietly Getting On

It's been a little while since I last posted here. The dreadful news from Boston really shook me. Running for me is a fundamental expression of the joy of being human- what better way of rejoicing in having legs than going for a run? Runners do no harm so why hurt them.

I should be running my first marathon this coming Monday except I'm not allowed to. If I were to entertain the thought of just having a go anyway the last 8 months of injury, illness then more injury have had a huge impact on my fitness and I would do so much harm to attempt a long run. But I've now completed 3 weeks of training back at the gym and that feels positive. I've even managed 3 fartleks of an hour each. No sprinting though, just brisk walking and a gentle run when it's felt right. At a gentle pace running seems to be ok although so far I can't manage more than 5 minutes of it.

Knitting and sewing have had to go on hold- it's a struggle to be back at work, keep up my training schedule and look after the children and run the house let alone do any of the 'crafty' things I find so restorative. But I've spent a bit of time in the garden (for health reasons I need to spend time in the sun) and have some vegetable seedlings going- so far broad and purple climbing beans, carrots, beetroot and salad leafs are planted out. Waiting on the Swiss chard to get a bit bigger and we'll see if this year will be better for courgettes...

No comments: